It’s Nearly Christmas – Get Ready
AS the days get shorter and the weather colder it is time to pull out those thick knits, don the mittens and prepare for winter, or more importantly CHRISTMAS!
As a child I loved Christmas. My festive spirit began to brew mid-October and would increase to boiling point by the start of December.
However, for some reason it weakened slightly whilst I finished school and went to University – probably because you have such an abundance of holiday it doesn’t seem to matter as much – no longer did I wait with baited breath to play The Pogues’ ‘Fairytale Of New York’ on December 1st nor did I feel obliged to pretend I loved mulled wine.
Yet, now working in London it seems I am returning to my older ways. This time of year starts to dust off my sled, feed my reindeer, wrap my pigs in blankets and make me feel rather festive. I do not mean to say you need to wear your Xmas jumpers and play ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ already (everybody knows that a pre-December 1st Xmas song is very bad luck indeed).
However, with the lights going up on every street and decorations appearing in shops there is undeniably a little Xmas spirit getting ready in the proverbial wings, waiting to leap to the stage in a matter of weeks – hopefully accompanied by the Christmas titans that are Aled Jones and Michael Bublé.
With this in mind have a look through some suggestions of a few things to do if you are in London with a couple of spare moments (between watching Love Actually and the Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special).
IDEAS / SUGGESTIONS
- Enjoy the Festive atmosphere in Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park
- Visit Christmas at Kew to see wonderful illuminated trails through the gardens
- Experience a Victorian Christmas at Kensington Palace
- Take a spin on the ice at Somerset House’s ice rink
- Sing along carols around the world-renowned Christmas Tree in Trafalgar Square
- Meet Father Christmas as if you were in Victorian London at the Museum of London
- Guzzle down food, drink and enjoy Blues music at Christmess
- See the amazing Christmas Lights in Carnaby and on Oxford Street
- Experience the Nordic Wonderland at Wintertime at Southbank Centre
- NEW YEARS EVE FIREWORKS!
Enjoy – I know I will